Residential Building Permits
Permits and inspections are required for most work to be done on a property. Click on the appropriate link in the Project Submittal Requirements section below for details about what must be included in the application submission, required inspections and permit fee.
Apply in Person
Submit all documents and pay at the Village Hall, lower level counter.
Who May Apply
The property owner or a contractor may apply. A permit application from a contractor requires the property owner’s approval.
All contractors conducting work in the Village are required to register with VRLB annually. Click here for registration instructions.
All permits will require one or more inspections to verify work is being done in compliance with Village codes. The number and type of inspections is detailed in the Project Submittal Requirements. The cost for required inspections are included as part of the permit fee. However, additional fees will be charged for cancellations, no-shows and re-inspections required due to a failed inspection. Actual inspections are always required; pictures will not be accepted in lieu of an inspection.
Before Scheduling an Inspection
There are several important things to know before scheduling an inspection.
• It is the owner’s responsibility to call the Village to schedule all inspections (not vice-versa).
• Continuing work without scheduling an inspection at the designated time may result in the Village requiring dismantling of work to assure work has been done in compliance with codes.
• Inspections cannot be scheduled without 48 business hours of advance notice.
• Inspections are assigned a time frame: Mornings (8am to Noon) or Afternoon (1-4pm).
• Owners/Contractors must be ready when the Inspector arrives (i.e., at the beginning of the assigned time frame) or will be charged a re-inspection fee. Inspectors cannot wait at the property while you finish your work.
Reasons a Permit May be Denied
There are three primary factors that prevent permit approval. The Village will work with you to resolve any such issue so that your permit request can eventually be approved.
1. Application submission is incorrect or incomplete.
2. Drawings or specs do not conform to Village codes.
3. We are unable to issue a permit to residents that have outstanding tickets or invoices owed to the Village, unresolved Village liens, or open code violations.
Varies: Application Permit Fee (see Project Submittal Requirements)
$30: Per Each Re-Inspection
$25: Cancellation within 48 Hours of Scheduled Inspection
$25: No-Show at Inspection
$5: Replace Permit Card
$10: Permit Extension
Permit Expiration & Extension
Permits are good for 90 days from the date issued. Permits may be automatically extended for an additional 90 days only one time. A second and final extension requires approval from the Director of Inspections and will only be permitted if the applicant has achieved substantial progress toward completion. Upon expiration, a new permit application and application fee is required.
Project Submittal Requirements
Click on the appropriate sidebar link for details about what must be included as part of the application submission, required inspections and permit fee.
Call the Community & Economic Development Department at 847/546-2351.